To my summer loving dismay, winter seems to be sticking around. I say there is “winter” in Los Angeles, but the real heroes in the Northeast would severely beg to differ. Nonetheless, this time of year I have to wear close-toed shoes and turn our heater on at night, so…it’s basically Antarctica over here.
Either way, I have decided to embrace the colder temps because if you can’t beat ’em, join ’em (is this a bad lesson?). With this decision, as well as my new year intention to slow down, I’ve been reveling in a relaxing nighttime routine. So when Crane & Canopy asked me to share it, well, I already had the formula ready.
I’ve always been a morning bather (do people still use this word?), but showering at night has been a game changer. Nothing feels more luxurious than:
- taking a hot – and I mean HOT – shower. I like to turn off the lights, light a candle, and play soft music – instant spa! Bonus points if you keep the door shut because then the humidity is like your own at-home sauna!
- applying silky smooth body oil; this argan oil is doing wonders for my perpetually cracked hands during the winter.
- rubbing my lips with sugar scrub (it’s a little weird at first but so great…trust me!) and swiping on some ChapStick (it works so much better when it has all night to really soak in).
- climbing into a bed of freshly laundered sheets with a good book. This makes the perfect nighttime read.
I’ve been getting into bed at least 30 minutes before “bedtime” to read, so I can quiet my mind and reset for the next day – and no, this does not mean Instagram scrolling for half an hour. In these over saturated days of go-go-go, it’s so necessary to incorporate stillness to reboot (especially for this anxious introvert). I’ve even gotten my husband on board with this practice, which I honestly didn’t think was possible. Yesterday he asked, “Want to get into bed to read?”, and my heart did a literal somersault.
Slower evenings (and more sleep!) lead to slower mornings (more time to enjoy that cup of coffee!), which in turn lead to more productive days (more purpose! more joy! more happiness!). The simple act of just slowing down has benefited my days in innumerable ways. Go ahead, try it. I dare you.
*Honorable Mentions for the Perfect Nighttime Routine:
- eating a home cooked meal by candlelight – glass of wine in hand, of course.
- stretching after that hot shower or (better yet!) convincing your significant other to give you a deep back massage.
- Puppy snuggles. Because…duh. ❤